Student FAQs

How much will everything cost?

You will need:

  • A Security Deposit (Usually one month’s rent plus £200)
  • The first month’s Rent
  • Our Agency Fees

All these costs will all be discussed with you before you commit to the property. There will be no surprises.

Learn more about our fees

How do I pay my rent?

After the initial payment you will pay monthly by Standing Order. You will need to cancel your standing order at the end of the tenancy.

The rent must be paid from your Guarantor’s bank account. After many years of experience we do this to avoid late rent payments and charges as student loan payments do not match monthly rent dates. By paying the rent from your Guarantors bank account, you will avoid late payment charges, saving you money.

What happens to my deposit?

It will be registered with The Tenancy Dispute Service  

How do I get my deposit back?

After you vacate a Check out inspection will be carried out and then in accordance with the TDS scheme rules we will negotiate the return of you deposit. Once agreement is reached we will return your deposit promptly into your chosen bank account.

What if I disagree with the amount of my deposit refunded?

We will always try and negotiate any deductions with you but if agreement cannot be reached then you can raise a Dispute with the Free to use service of the TDS.

What happens if there is a problem with my property?

You should (and are obliged to) report any maintenance issues to Home Leasing. We will then take instruction from the Landlord and arrange repairs in accordance with those instructions. In some cases Landlords may carry out their own repairs.

Who pays for repairs?

Normally when there is a malfunction or breakdown the Landlord will pay.

Occasionally when it is by a fault of the tenant then the tenant will be asked to Pay (for example by not checking the washing machine filter is blocked before reporting a washing machine broken).

Who pays the bills?

Tenants pay for Gas, Electric, Water and Telecommunications. Tenants have the right to choose their own supplier in order to get the best deal.

If any of these are included in the rent you will be advised before taking the tenancy.

Can I have a pet?

Only with the permission of the landlord. An extra amount of deposit will be requested and a commitment from you to have the property fumigated at the end of the tenancy. An addendum to agree the above will be added to the tenancy agreement.

Do I need Insurance?

Yes, you are advised to take out any insurance for your possessions. In addition some policies offer a small amount of cover for accidental damage by you to the landlord’s property.

Can I decorate?

Only with the permission of the landlord and then only in neutral colours.

Can I make minor repairs / improvements?

If there is a problem with the property, you are obliged to report it to Home Leasing. But if you wish, for example, to put up shelves, you will need the landlord’s permission. If approved by the landlord, we have a friendly team of contractors / handymen who might be able to help you.

Can my landlord enter the property?

The landlord or the managing agent will give you sufficient notice (minimum 24 hours) to advise that access to the property is required, except in an emergency, like a burst pipe.

What if I leave early?

You will be liable for the rent payments up to the date your tenancy ends, if no replacement tenant is found. If a replacement tenant is found to take over the remainder of your tenancy, the replacement tenant must be referenced by Home Leasing and agency fees will be payable. There is also a cancellation fee payable. If you are deciding to leave the property before your tenancy ends, contact Home Leasing to discuss what options are available.

For more information on renting please call us on 01273 323344

Register with us

Looking for a property to rent? Register with us and we will email you properties that match your requirements.